Sun 06
U-18 (2002)
U-18's go down fighting

U-18's go down fighting

By John O Donnell
Share via

Missed Bonus point despite scoring 4 tries on the road

An understrength Seapoint put up a valiant and courageous effort away to a much heavier and well drilled Edenderry side. With a re-shuffled back line as a result of player unavailability, this was always going to be a tough match for Seapoint to win on the road. Edenderry started the game with purpose despite playing into a slight breeze, getting possession early and keeping it through direct one up running and using the weight and size of their front five to punch holes in the Seapoint defence. However Seapoint stood firm and after sustained pressure for the first 15-20 minutes they eventually broke out and scored the first try, captain John Ascough forcing his way over from short distance from a penalty for a try which he duly converted.

Edenderry replied with a converted try of their own shortly afterwards to even the match at 7 points apiece, and then Seapoint scored a second converted try when excellent hands in midfield put Luke Hammond into space, he had a lot of work to do with two players to beat from 20 metres out but using power and speed he duly dotted down under the posts. Ascough again converted. Edenderry shortly replied with a second converted try to leave the game tied at 14 each at the interval.

Seapoint started the second half brightly and after chasing a probing kick into the corner, Tochi Onyemelukwe capitalised on a fumble by his opposite number and touched down in the corner. Ascough missed the difficult conversion attempt. Edenderry then enjoyed a period of dominance in terms of possession and territory for the next 10 minutes and kicked two successive penalties to take a one point lead. Luke Hammond injured his shoulder and had to come off. Edenderry subsequently managed another converted try to open up an eight point lead and at that stage looked to have the game under control.

Seapoint refused to buckle and after some excellent ball retention and direct running, Cillian O’Donnell finished off a period of sustained pressure by scoring a fourth try, Ascough unfortunately missing a kickable conversion. Trailing by 3 points, Seapoint never gave up and were unlucky to miss out on a losing bonus point when Edenderry scored their fourth and final try in the closing minutes. All in all an excellent and committed performance from an understrength Seapoint side, they never gave up and their tackling and work at the breakdown was excellent. Some better decision making and cooler heads in the second half could possibly have delivered a victory. A welcome break next weekend and then Seapoint entertain Malahide at home in the next round of the league.

Share via

Match details

Match date

Sun 06, Oct 2019